I co-chaired
the New Non-Fiction Committee for many years. And for those who don't know what non-fiction is, it's everything except fiction. So it could be religion,
philosophy, sociology, language learning, starting a business, recovery, learning an instrument,
learning how to paint.
It's a wonderful committee that people in the system just want to be on because it's
just so great to be discussing books for a couple hours. But I want to relate a story. I have to give the city librarian credit that he frequently uses
the staircase in the library. So he really sees what's going on. Many previous city librarians never did that.
But one day I was
walking up the stairs with him and I was telling him we're going to have a new Non-Fiction Committee. And I thought, well, he should be as excited as we are. But his remark was, "Well, we've
got too much non-fiction space in the branch. We're gonna have to do something about that." And it just seemed like a downer to bring to bring this attitude to a meeting that we
librarians view in a very positive. I would have liked to have reported to all reported that the City Librarian remarked how great your work is or something, But I could not do that. It really is a wonderful service and its a committee that people like to be on, and I'm glad to see the people of San Francisco using the collection in that way.
AGENDA ITEM NO. 4 HUMAN RESOURCES UPDATE – TALENT ACQUISITION
Jason Gibbs, a former talent once acquired but no longer possessed.
Talent Acquisition: Average Vacancy Rate
I wanted
to note that your base number for fiscal year 22 on that chart was really abnormally high because we had just come through COVID. That was a time when over 500
employees were sent out as Disaster Service Workers and I don't know how many employees declined to be Disaster Service Workers.
My first assignment was to be a site monitor in a shelter-in-place hotel for the vulnerable homeless. Many people did not want to do that and so they had to use up all their vacation, all their sick pay and then were separated from the library. So it
was it was a very traumatic time for the workforce and so that high number is reflected by that.
But I would also say as a disaster service worker, I was
put also put into the Department of Public Health and I can't say that I've ever been more appreciated for my work
when I was working for the Department of Public Health. The library never showed that level of appreciation for
the work that I did. I was even involved in interviewing people for the Department of Public Health, helping them with their talent acquisition. They recognized my abilities.
But talking about talent acquisition, I think you have to also realize that you already
have talent and that that talent needs to be built and appreciated.
And I one of my regrets is that 35 years of experience I reached really the pinnacle of my abilities at the end of
my career and I felt like there was no opportunity to spread that knowledge to to other people because there there is
so much that I know about this institution not just about collections or reference but like who to go to if you need this problem solved, issues like space
management and budget management. So I I would look really be interested more in talent appreciation and you using the talent you have. Thank you.

No comments:
Post a Comment